Table of Contents
Step by Step on How to Sight-Reading?
As a musician, it is really important to build their sight-reading skills. To become studio musicians, this skill is really crucial and important for them as they most likely will not have the chance to look at the score and practice it.
What is Sight Reading?
Sight Reading is a skill that when someone passes you the score for the first time, you can play it out without any rehearsing.
Steps by Steps
- Identify the Key Signature
- Check if it’s a Major or Minor key, because if it’s a minor key there will be three possibilities (Natural, Harmonic & Melodic) scale, so you have to pay attention to these accidentals.
- Identify the Time Signature
- Identify the Tempo
- Then quickly glance through if there are any repeat signs, some fast passages, dynamics, etc.
Example from Bach Prelude and Fugue in D Minor BMV 851
How to Practice
- Play more repertoire
- Willing to try different pieces
- With Metronome
Practice makes perfect, practicing sight-reading will definitely enhance your ability to read scores faster and understand the composer’s intention quicker.